How to treat your new storage drive…
Drive Partition and Format
- Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
- After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.’s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on thePartitiontab in the DU main window.
- Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on theOptionsbutton, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.
- Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on theErasetab in the DU main window.
- Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on theSecuritybutton, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
- Click on theErasebutton. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.